Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Shoot Me...

cause I'm a bad mommy.

I really am.


Lately Haziq has changed his sleeping routine. Before this, latest by 9 pm he would already be fast asleep and I can continue with my house chores.

But these last few days have been really challenging for me. Haziq refuses to sleep as usual but will only surrender himself close to midnite leaving me an unhappy 'zombie'.

It's fine that he wants to stay up late and play but the thing is he wants me to sit beside him and do nothing. This makes me a bit 'angry' with him because he has no idea the zillions things I have to do around that tiny place called home and I'm racing with the time. sigh. End result, you have a stressed mommy and a crying baby.

Still haven't shot me yet???

Here's more.

As much as I don't want to spoil Haziq, sometimes I bite my words. Hubby said I'm spoiling him by giving him whatever he wants. Hubby believes we should not all the time adhere to his request of playing things which are not playable for a toddler. You know how toddlers are. The things that we forbid them from playing are the things that they want.

So....Hubby's method is to ignore his crying and let him calm himself down but on the other hand I do not have the heart to see him cry. I cepat cair when Haziq give me that muka seposen look upon not getting what he wants. I also do not want to have extra work to do when Haziq starts to cough after crying and then vommit. That's why sometimes I give in and let him play with whatever he wants. Plus Hubby added that Haziq is extra 'mengada' when I'm around. MANJA!


Tell me...how do I handle a toddler refuses to sleep although it's obvious that he is extremely sleepy and who sometimes uses crying as a method to get his way.


A conversation with my Mom and another experienced Mommy this morning, they told me this :

  1. Haziq wants my/our attention that is why he starts to cry whenever he's upset about something.
  2. Mama said you have to put yourself in his position. He's been at his babysitter's place for more than 8 hours everyday and you expect him to sleep after 2-3 hours of time with you??? (darn...I'm stupid!). If he can talk he would say that he wants to spend time with you but for now he expresses his feelings through his cry for attention.
  3. If he wants to play with something, let him as long as it's not dangerous for him. Child's brain develops while exploring things around him. He will learn faster.
  4. Don't just give him toys to play with...give him lotsa love...he needs it...
  5. The housechores can wait but the precious time that you're spending with him comes only once. When he's all grown up you will miss this time (sedih part ni ok). So, if he wants you to sit beside him...sit...if he wants you to cuddle him ...cuddle...if he wants to mess your tupperware cabinet....mess with him...huhuu....most important is to capture and cherish every second with him.
  6. Relax....don't take it too hard on myself and enjoy the ride (yeah...I think I am pushing myself too much...)

I feel much better now. I just bought a book called Toddle Tactics. In it there's advice on communicating with your toddler, discipline and good manners,good eating habits, routines for play and sleep, toilet training and family dynamics. Wish me luck ok in my quest to become a better parent. :)



Relax ler Ibu... :p

4 comments:

SaDi said...

Happy holiday!!!! MERDEKA!!!! Selamat berpuasa...

Jungle Playland said...

If you only know...

Aidan can't sleep without someone teman him.. I will teman him until he falls asleep (takes about 1hr). I had to pretend sleeping.. This has been going on since forever..

Aidan is a cry baby.. Hubs too said i spoil him.. hahah! as long as he is not a bully hes a good boy, i'm happy.

So i guess patient is the word. I try very hard not to lose my temper..Memang susah! i do regret at times scolding him, tapi mommy has to do what mommy has to do kan..

Dont feel bad... no one is a bad mommy unless u torture or abandoned your child. tuu lain criterlaa hahahah

dont worry you are doing fine!
call me if you feel you need to talk about mommy expy k

Zaitul said...

sadi:thanks

dott: thanks for sharing dear...i guess patience is the keyword here like you said.trying really hard here :)

Anis Zainal-Pacleb said...

babe, u r one wonderful mom ok! and haziq is one lucky boy to have you in his life....

i pun kekadang tu naik hangin gak with areya each time she starts acting up, cam nak bedibik je rasa..hehee.... i ms uch a bad mommmy la....nasib baik rasa je tapi tak follow with action.....

but when I start to think how fast time flies and the time will come when she'd rather hang out with her bunch of frens instead of mommy tu la yang sabar kan i....

all the points ypublisted here are such an inspiration for me too....

all the best to us zai in our quest to be a good mommy...